Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spearhead


I was high school age and went hunting in Eastern Oregon with my dad and we joined up with friends of the family in deer camp at Dead Horse Spring. At the end of the morning hunt I was walking a dry creek bed that came down from the rimrock draws and lost itself out in the high desert prairie. In that region of Oregon you'll see obsidian around....it isn't uncommon but it isn't covering everything either. I saw a little piece of obsidian in the dry sand, reached down picking it up....it just kept coming out of the creek bed! Someone that knows about such things told me that it was probably Paiute and probably ceremonial - since the Paiute of the area used tougher stone for hunting. I wondered back then and through the years about the maker of that spearhead. I've pictured the landscape of that day in my mind and thought about what their lives were like and how the spearhead came to it's final resting place. After many years I delivered the spearhead to the Burns Oregon Paiute Tribe. I showed them on a map where it was found.

No comments: